Sunday, March 1, 2015

Stuff My Brain Says #72

"The Society of Mind" by Marvin Minsky (cofounder of the A.I. Lab, MIT)

The above was an interesting book. It dealt with how we think; how we develop the thinking process as part of our early development (from an infant). When I was done, all I could think about was that the fear of artificial intelligence gaining self-awareness and destroying us all, like some dystopian science fiction movie, won't happen in my lifetime. All that is involved in how OUR brains function, and what makes us self-aware, is still, for the most part, a mystery. To replicate that into a functioning machine is beyond our technological grasp. Oh, we'll keep reaching for it, and someday we just might reach it. But that's a stretch that is too much a strain for today's best and brightest.

Right "Hey Siri"? "Hey Cortana"? "Okay Google"?

© Emittravel 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment