Thursday, June 16, 2011

Memorial Day - Sit Down Already!

On Memorial Sunday, my church's choir sings a number from the upcoming Patriotic Musical - to be performed close to the Independence Day weekend celebration. During the song, which is a celebration of our country's military, members of the congregation who currently serve or have in the past served in our country's military are asked to stand and be recognized.

I hate it.

Not that I am ashamed of my time in the military (U.S. Navy, 1984 - 1988). I'm not! I'm very proud to have served my country; to be a plankowner (commissioning crew member) on one of our navy's finest vessels: USS Elrod (FFG-55). To have served in Desert Shield was an honor.

We stand and are recognized on Independence Day. We stand and are recognized on Veterans Day. But Memorial Day? No. This day is set aside for those who CANNOT stand. It is to remember those who gave the ultimate sacrifice for their country. They are in a different class from the rest.

No, we service members should not stand and be recognized on this day - unless EVERYONE ELSE stands with us.

To the fallen - thank you. May the Lord bless you and keep you, make His face shine upon you, and give you everlasting peace.

© Emittravel 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment