Thursday, December 29, 2011

Wisdom from the Porcelain Pulpit - an Introduction

My in-laws gave me a nice book for Christmas: "Paws for a moment with God - Devotions Best Enjoyed in the Company of a Cat" by Inspired By Faith (ISBN 978-0984332885). Along with the book was a stirred memory of something I used to do long ago, way before the days of blogging.

In my bathroom I keep a book on the toilet tank. I used to call the bathroom the "library with the porcelain seat". Now, I don't read things like "War and Peace" - there's not enough "Preparation H" for that - I read books with very short chapters, books of inspirational quotes, and devotionals. As most of those books go, every once in awhile something - a passage or sentence - would really strike me.

Years ago, when I was an Amway distributor (don't hate me - I said "WAS" - waay past tense), AFTER I got out of the bathroom, I would  get on the voice mail system (a system that allowed you to leave messages to individuals and groups),  and share the passage I had just read. Along with the passage I would add some of my thoughts on how it impacted me and why I felt like sharing it. I would start each message with, "Hi. It's J.P., with more wisdom from the porcelain pulpit." I would receive a lot of positive feedback for what I shared - most likely from the passage itself, and not MY thoughts - and the messages would be forwarded on to other groups.

Awhile ago I started to add short blog entries here called "Stuff My Brain Says". Now I would like to start adding another form of blog entries entitled "Wisdom from the Porcelain Pulpit". These will be very much in the style of the Amway voice mail messages. Unlike the "Stuff My Brain Says" entries, these will be based on those short passages that have inspired me in some way. It is my hope that they will be of inspiration to you too.

© Emittravel 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment