Sunday, November 5, 2017

To Know the Known

To Know the Known



Who is this God that I follow?
Who am I to follow Him?
To inspire song.
To comfort in sorrow.
To cradle the face of a child.
To wipe the tears from eyes
strained towards heaven.
In somber solitude I seek to abandon,
to achieve what I am unable to grasp.
To let go of the here,
to obtain the Now.
I am awed in Your presence.
Totally at peace in my frustration
for that of which eludes me.
When I think I’ve come to an understanding,
You turn and I am struck dumb.
I glimpse at Your glory and collapse.
Unable to behold Your beauty.
Your splendor.
Sinful.
Arrogant.
I claim to hold a stallion by the reins;
to find I hold an ass.
The reins in my hand
steer the bit in my own mouth.
I long to know the Known.
To hold a piece of eternity.
Fallen man I am.
I discard the pride of reason
to become the fool of God.
To let go of achievement
for the brokenness of the humble.
Who is this God that I follow?
And who am I to follow Him?
 
J.P. Wiegand
© Emittravel 1999


It’s been awhile since I’ve written anything about my spiritual journey. Many of you who have been reading my blog know that I was a very involved member of a church for YEARS. I took a sabbatical from October 2014 until about May of 2015. You’ll find much of my experience leading up to and during expressed here.

I returned to that church after the end of my sabbatical until the end of September. Since then I’ve been “churchless”. I’ve had the wonderful opportunity to join with friends at their church to play in their worship team since then, but at this point I’ve no “desire” to become a regular church goer. What does the future hold? I’m not sure. This is still a journey, and I’m still a traveler on it.

The above poem was initially published to www.renderosity.com in January of 2007. The comment below accompanied it. I think it is still relevant:

Religion: from the word "religare" meaning "to tie back" or "strangle". The balancing act of faith in God, and mindless obedience to a religion. For me this is a lifelong struggle; the desire to know God, versus the arrogance of my own humanity. Do you seek to love someone JUST for what they can do for you? That's manipulation. If it doesn't work that way on Earth, why would we think it would work in the heavenlies? Just a thought. -j.p.

© Emittravel 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment