Monday, January 1, 2018

Not ANOTHER New Year's Resolution Post

Every year I make the same New Year's resolution. And, I'm happy to say, I've been very good at keeping it:

"I resolve to never make a New Year's resolution."

In my own, odd-humor way that is supposed to be funny. You may or may not agree. That's okay. Some would say it is rather lazy to not make a resolution. And they might be correct in that. But part of me thinks that changes in my life will take more than a pronouncement. And I think the same for you.

During one of the many televised New Year's Eve programs last night, someone I'm unfamiliar with sang John Lennon's "Imagine" right before the ball dropped in New York City. He did a nice job. And it was that song that spurred this particular post.

I'm not going to quote the song. I'm sure the simple mention of it has it playing in your head. It's one of those kind of songs. But what I am going to do is challenge you to think of what would be needed for that song to come a reality. Not just the lack of a heaven or hell; I'm talking about we all just getting along as one.

Would going to the gym more get us there? How about quitting smoking? Would even being more positive do the job?

I don't think so. It will take a lot more. It will take a lot more to get us past ourselves. You know: the very individuals who are the main blocks to progress. 

From Thanksgiving until New Year's Eve, the music my music players project are pretty much nothing but Christmas/Holiday tunes. One of the songs was from the Judd's 2000 celebration live album. Being a live album, there is some talking that is played. One of the things talked about was that, being the beginning of a new millenium, there was an overwhelming feeling of peace and togetherness. That we were approaching a new evolutionary state of humanity. Riiiggghhhttt.

I'm reminded of the song "Aquarius". Look it up. The 5th Dimension did a great job. They thought the same thing. 

It takes more than a declaration. It takes more than a feeling. It takes a radical change in US.

I make radical comments all the time. Usually to get people thinking. I recently made a comment to a person concerning racism. Apparently the lady who is marrying the Prince (England) is black. I questioned that. The person said that she was half black and half white. I said, "Oh yeah. If you are 99% white and 1% black, you are 100% black. That's okay. We are all black then." That got a rise. I told the person, "What color do you think Adam and Eve were? It has been estimated that the probable location of the Garden of Eden was Ethiopia. And, since you can get all colors from black, and no colors from white, Adam and Eve were obviously black." The person then replied, "I have black friends, but I'm NOT black."

If you have trouble seeing the racism in the above paragraph, you may just want to skip the rest of this post: it's not for you. Go to the gym.

As long as we humans remain the same, we will NOT EVER reach "the dawning of the Age of Aquarius". We will continue to drive the same. We will continue to talk others down. We will continue to live in a world of us versus them.

It takes more than a resolution. It takes a continuous, active focus on who we are, and effort to bring about the change we want to see. 

And no, don't expect everybody else to change along with you. Politicians will continue to be politicians (regardless of political stripe). Aggressive drivers will continue to cut you off. People will continue to kill other people because they think, believe, or look different. And people will continue to strive for Darwin Awards in spite of those that may get hurt around them.

You are only responsible for you. They say there is only one thing you take with you when you pass on: your character. Make it a good one.

© Emittravel 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment