Sunday, April 10, 2016

Chapter Seven

"You can't be serious."

It wasn't an accusation. Just a simple statement. A simple statement with a touch of disbelief.

"How can you say that? I’m telling you the truth. A deep, personal thing and you call me a liar?"

"I didn't call you a liar. I said that you can't be serious. Maybe you're imagining it. Maybe you just want to believe it."

"Why would I make something like this up? I didn't want it to be true, it just . . . is."

Then came the silence. That awkward pause. You know the kind. The conversation will either pick up steam, or fizzle out. Someone will dig a little deeper, or change the topic.

We had been on the road for days. It seemed like the perfect opportunity to let her know how I felt. You know, spill my guts. Okay, maybe "perfect opportunity" isn't right. I had volunteered to take her, and a trailer full of her things, across country to where THE job was. And him.

Like I said, maybe "perfect opportunity" isn't right.

She shifted in her seat, looked at me and asked, "How long have we known each other?"

"I don't know, since high school. Sophomore year I think."

"Right. About six years now. And you wait until NOW to tell me this? You wait until THIS moment?"

"Look, I didn't plan it this way. I thought I'd be okay with this. You know, with you leaving. I figured that once you were gone I'd simply move on. But I don't think I can."

"Great. Thanks. This is all I need right now. Not only do I have to deal with my mom's attitude over me leaving, I have to deal with . . . with . . . this."

"First off, your mom means well. And second, I sorta agree with her. You're leaving home and everyone you know all so you can be with a guy you only met your last year in school."

"So it's Richard then. You're jealous of Richard."

"I'm not jealous of Richard. I think he's a swell guy. I just don't think you know him well enough to leave everything."

"Well I do. Besides, you're just saying this because you THINK you have feelings for me."

"I don't THINK. I KNOW. I've known for a long time now. I just didn't have the guts to tell you."

"Because?"

"Because I thought that once I told you how I really felt, it would kill our friendship."

"Pete, don't be silly. Of course it wouldn't kill our friendship. It's just that all this time I thought you considered me more of a sister. And now?"

"You're angry."

"I’m not angry."

"You're angry that I opened my mouth. Hell, I should have kept it shut."

"C'mon Pete, I’m not angry. Just a little confused that's all."

"Wait. YOU'RE confused?"

"Yeah, I mean. Look. I really like you Pete. Really, I do. And at one time I thought that you really liked me too. If I had only known . . . "

"Well now you do. So now what?"

"Now? God, Pete. Don't do this to me."

"Do what?"

"Just forget it. Look. Once we get there . . . I don't know."

And then, with perfect timing, her phone went off.

"Oh, hi Richard. Yeah, we're still on the road. Maybe another couple hours out. Uh huh. Okay. I'll see you soon. Bye."

I glanced at her and asked, "No 'I love you'?"

"What?"

"You didn't say, 'I love you'."

"Yes I did."

"No, you didn't. Freudian slip?"

"Oh, don't start."

"Okay, call him back and tell him."

"Oh, come on, Pete."

"No, really. Call him back and tell him you love him, and give him those kissy sounds people do."

"No."

"So, you really don't love him."

"Stop it."

"Go ahead then. Call him back and tell him. To be honest, I don't think I've ever heard you tell him."

"It doesn't matter."

"Why not?"

"Because . . . I don't. Love him, that is. To be honest, I'm not moving out here for some great job. I'm moving out to be with Richard and HIS job."

"I'm confused."

"Pete. I'm pregnant."

©Emittravel 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment