Sunday, April 17, 2016

Thank You Obama?

To be completely honest, I've only given a passing interest to the goings on of both political party primaries. As a registered Independent living in Ohio, voting for one or the other puts me in that party's affiliation. I'm too independent of thought for that.

Some of what I've grasped so far is that we need to build a wall of some kind, have Mexico pay for it, and provide free college tuition for those using the gender-specific bathroom stated on their birth certificate. Okay, as Lou Costello famously said, "I grasp it, but it keeps slippin' outta my hands!"

One thing that I haven't heard was something that was a main topic a number of years ago. It was more important than any other topic, and that includes man-made climate change. What topic? The thing that was going to destroy this nation. The thing that was going to bankrupt our children's children's children. And that thing was the NATIONAL DEBT!!

Remember that $17+ TRILLION behemoth? Remember when every cable talking head, every politician, and your so-right-wing-that-he-flies-in-circles Uncle Ernie, cried that if we didn't stop spending we'd death spiral out of control financially? Yeah, I remember it too. Whatever happened to that debt?

The Republicans don't seem to be talking about it anymore. As a matter of fact, I haven't seen one Tweet from Donald Trump about it. (Okay, for the record: I don't follow any of these yahoos on Twitter. Sometimes people I follow may reTweet something, but that's about it. And don't get me started on Facebook!) So what happened?

I'll tell you what happened: Obama happened! That's right! Barack Hussein (sometimes known as "Barry") Obama. He became President and not only did the oceans stop rising, but so did the national debt. He must have done it with that famous "Obama money".

And that's why the Republicans aren't talking about it anymore.

I guess it's okay for Congress to keep spending. Thanks, Obama!

(On a less funny note: You can still find the national debt clock here. And I was blown away when I looked at it. That $17 trillion has now reached just over $19 trillion as of this writing.) 

©Emittravel 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment