Sunday, April 24, 2016

Nothing Compares 2 U

There has been a lot of love for Prince of late, due to his recent passing. I don't want to be crass, but how many people giving all the "Prince was the soundtrack of my life" comments on social media sought out his music prior to the announcement? To be honest, I really can't remember the last time I looked at my music collection and thought, "Man, I can really use me some Prince."

(Note: We DO have some Prince in our music collection.)

2016 has been pretty awful when looking at celebrity deaths, and it's not even half over. Yet, though the deaths have been tragic (come on, Prince at 57?!?), the outpouring on social media seems way out of balance compared to the impact of the person when they were alive. Yes, David Bowie passed before his "golden years", Natalie Cole sang an "unforgettable" tune with her late father, and Alan Rickman truly "snaped" us with his every performance. But honestly, until the announcements, did you even think of these people?

Like I had written previously: "during such tragedies we are faced with our OWN mortality. And coming face-to-face with finitude has a way of bringing out compassion - for those we haven't seen, or even consciously thought of, for a long time."

And perhaps that is the reason we DO reach out via social media - to find comfort and compassion with our fellow mortals. And upon reflection, that is really okay.

R.I.P. Prince

©Emittravel 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment